Sunday, December 20, 2009

Lily's Sick :(

So, in the previous post I mentioned that Lily had gotten her first illness. Well I took her for her vaccines appointment with the doctor and it turns out she was too sick for vaccines. I was pretty sure that was going to happen because she had the sniffles and I know that typically doctors don't give vaccines when baby's immune system is low. What I was NOT expecting is for them to tell me that Lily had a VIRUS! I mean, I guess an illness can be either a virus or a bacteria, but when they told me they were going to test her for the flu virus and the rsv virus, I did not expect either test to come back positive. They swabbed the inside of her nose (painless) and left to run the test. Fifteen minutes later the results were positive for rsv, which is basically a bad bad cold. AAAAAAANNNNNDDDDDDD commence water works....I don't know why I started to cry, but I just couldn't help it. Lily wasn't crying and everything the doctor was saying was very reassuring, "very common", "easy to treat", "she'll be fine", etc. I guess I just wasn't ready to hear that my baby had "tested positive for a virus", those words are just scary. Also I guess I always just assumed that breast feeding created a magical force field that protected her from any illness EVER (I'm only half kidding).

The doctor gave me a decongestant and prescribed a breathing treatment (with a nebulizer). The nebulizer caused me to cry just a little harder. Again, the doctor was very reassuring, "breaks up congestion quicker because it goes straight to the lungs", "only takes about 5 minutes", "common form of treatment". Still though, the fact that I need to treat Lily with a MACHINE, was just too much to handle on top of the whole "baby has a virus". The doctor put his hand on my shoulder and was basically choking back laughter and said, "Everything is going to be OK". I KNOW THIS! I'm just emotional. She's my first baby and it's just overwhelming.

That was on Thursday, today is Sunday and she's doing very well. Three days of breathing treatment and it's not as hard or overwhelming as I imagined. She does gag and (depending on if she has a full stomach) spit up after she takes her medicine. I feel bad for her everytime! So, doctor said she would not be herself for 7 - 10 days and her cough could linger up to a week longer. Luckily she has NOT had a fever (knock on wood). Here are some pictures of my Lily bean on her six month birthday.



Waiting in the lobby for our appointment with the pediatrician...not at all expecting her to have a VIRUS!

My super sick baby before her breathing treatment! You'd never guess what wasn't feeling well
Taking her treatment, although, I found it works much better if she's sitting up
The nebulizer


Today we had to get out of the house so I took her out on the swing...she actually fell asleep swinging :) She's so precious!







2 comments:

Nicole Barnes said...

:( Poor Lily! AND, POOR MOM! :( She seems like a trooper though and I'm so glad to hear that she's doing better! And, I'm also glad to hear that Mom's doing better, too! ;)

kate said...

i know exactly how you feel about the whole 'baby's first cold' thing. ellie got her first cold at 9 months and i was so let down by my breastmilk. lol

glad she is doing better!